Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baby it's cold outside!


OK, I will be the FIRST to admit, I dislike the cold....A LOT! I won't say I hate it because my mom always told me hate is a terrible word, but boy am I close to using it! Since I've been home with Lucy, I've had lots of time on my hands to try new recipes. This chicken pot pie is one of our favorites! It's SUPER simple, hearty, and delicious (plus it's an excellent way to sneak veggies in for those kids who would otherwise not want to eat them)! We had our friend Bob over for dinner last night and we devoured almost the entire thing!

You will need the following ingredients:
2 ready made pie shells - available in your grocery dairy section
2 or 3 decent sized chicken breasts - diced and cooked
2 cans of cream of __________ soup - you could use cram of celery/chicken/mushroom whatever YOU like - I personally use 1 can of mushroom and 1 can of chicken
4 small-medium sized potatoes, peeled and par boiled
frozen veggie mix - corn/peas/carrots
pepper

To prepare:

*Take your pie shells from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature.
*Peel and dice your potatoes and put them on to boil. I boil mine for about 5 - 7 minutes - they will continue to cook while in the oven!
*Cook your chicken - I dice mine prior to cooking, and cook it in a skillet in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil. I add some spices at this time (no one spice in particular, I just start grabbing and add just a sprinkle for extra flavor!).
*Mix frozen veggies/soups/cooked potatoes/chicken in a large bowl, add pepper to taste.
*Place 1st pie shell in bottom of pie pan, poke holes with a fork. Pour your filling in pan and then cover with the 2nd pie shell. Pinch the edges of the shells together and then poke holes with fork on top shell. I put my pie plate on a baking sheet in case it boils over.

Bake for 40 minutes at 375.

ENJOY!~~



No comments: