Friday, December 19, 2008

CAKE BALLS - just for heather!

WHAT ARE CAKE BALLS you ask? Well, it's quite simple - they are balls of cake! I was at work the other day and one of my co-workers said her friend made cake balls. This lead me to ask "what is a cake ball?" and I then googled it and decided at once that I must try them! They are super easy to make, just a bit time consuming. Here's what you'll need and how you make them:

1 boxed cake mix - any flavor
1 tub of frosting - any flavor, but make sure it will taste ok with the cake you've chosen
chocolate for dipping them in

Choose a boxed cake flavor that you like and bake the cake per the directions on the box. While the cake is still warm crumble it in a large bowl and add the frosting. Stir them together. Place the mixture in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes so it will cool. Use either a scooper or your hands to make small balls. Return them to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so they can "set". Melt your chocolate for dipping (I used bakers chocolate) and dip each ball into the melted chocolate. ** I found this step to be somewhat challenging. I think I should have used a smaller scooper for mine, so I decided to just spoon the chocolate over mine.** Return them to the refrigerator so the chocolate will harden and ENJOY!

I added red food coloring and peppermint extract to mine - they tasted kind of like a cakey york peppermint patty - YUMMMMM-EEEEEE!!!!!

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

THANK YOU! I am going to try these! The kids might even enjoy helping out with these!

Mrs. Nurse Boy, aka Heather ;0)